Wednesday, August 30, 2006

La Tomatina

La Tomatina! One of the most well known festivals in the world. Undoubtedly, the largest tomato fight in the universe. Maybe you've seen a picture, or even a commercial.

From what we had heard and seen, we envisioned a large open space with several truckloads of whole tomatoes lying around to be thrown one at a time at an unsuspecting victim. "HA Ha!" we would say as we grazed someone on the shoulder. Laughter would be had by all and then we would stroll away and have a beer.

WRONG!

We stayed at the Purple Nest Hostal which is brand spanking new! They organized 4 buses to bring unsuspecting Tomatina goers to the excitement. Most of us were wearing our favorite flip flops, an old pair of shorts and our free Tomatina t-shirts which we were hoping to keep afterwards as a snazzy white-turned-pink souvenir. Goggles are a must as the tomato acid stings the eyes.

The bus drops you off. You head straight for the beer stand and buy a huge plastic cup of beer/sangria. This is to ensure that you get into the mood in the unlikely event that walking into a tomato fight with about 10000 people doesn't get get you going. You walk down this long winding road and then the unmistakeable sound of a massive screaming crowd begins to fill the air. Subtly at first, but then with a decided force, this din gets louder and louder as the crowd gets thicker and crazier.

Eventually, we couldn't walk any further as there was literally a wall of bodies in front of us. As I turn to ask Jo whether we should put on our goggles now or later... THWAP! I get a tomato in the shoulder. I look in the general direction of its thrower and a second projectile hits my beer cup deftly cracking it along the side and, like a criminal leaves a trail, this tomato left its guts strewn messily across my nose. Goggles on, and in we go!

Smiling, and shouting, Jo and I move forward in a teaming mass of compressed bodies. Just as I turn my head to look at Jo (turning my body at this point is not an option) and suggest we move forward, I am victim of yet another attack - I feel hands on my neck and, in one quick tear, my shirt disappears like magic. Yeah... I didn“t really need another t-shirt.


Moving forward, the crowd descends into a narrow street with no exits in sight. Steadily the tomatoes hitting us become more frequent and the slop of tomato stew at our feet gets deeper and deeper. Then as we are stalled in the middle of this human cake batter in the middle of the street, a massive truck with a new payload of tomatoes starts making its way towards us. Laughing at first, Jo and I get ready for the pelting. Then the crowd realizes just a bit too late that inevitably, this huge truck needs to get through this winding alley. The way an ice breaker splits the ice fields, this massive slow moving beast, cut through the crowd.

It drove through the lane where there physically was no room for it to pass. Slowly, almost too slowly, the bodies compress. There is a physical limit to which a human body can be compressed. Today, we experienced this maximum. Just as we await the cry of the first crush victim, we see the end of the truck and the crowd spill into the void made by the wake of the monster. No Joke...La Tomatina is scary shit. Panic fails to describe the energy that truck created in the crowd.

Then, just as quickly as it got scary, it got funny again. Hordes of people with what looked like tomato vomit on their heads and shoulders strolled to the river to wash away the mess. The town smelled like old rotten tomatoes, lone flip flops lay in the side walks and the crowds calmed.

It's tradition for the locals to rinse and hose down everyone from their balconies. Little old ladies hosed down big messy crowds and all was happy again. The happy was aided just a little by the post tomato beer and sangria that is as much tradition as the tomatoes.

The look on Jo's face in this after photo pretty much says it all.

Jo's entry starts here:

After surviving the insanity that is La Tomatina (thanks to Rich saving me from the throngs of people making me feel more than a little panicky), we had a quick meal, went back to our room and flopped down on the bed, exhausted from the adrenaline rush. Once recovered, we headed out for a stroll to enjoy the old buildings of Valencia. This city really is beautiful. I don't know if it was the thrill of the day, the romantic setting or the sangria but the evening ended in a marriage proposal from Rich. We are happy to announce that we are engaged! Rich gave me an amazing ring that he had designed with a local Montreal jewelry artist. It's amazing.

As for wedding dates, well, we have some free time on our hands to think that one over so I guess you'll have to stay tuned to find out what happens next...

17 Comments:

At 12:16 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG...you two!!! You certainly are full of surprises. I knew this trip would be life changing...sure enough.

Congratulations on your engagement. Keep us posted with the wedding date when you decide on one.

Hugs and kisses,

Mariangela

 
At 8:51 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!

I got tears in my eyes when I read of your engagement news! How neat to have such a romantic place to pop the question. Gregorys are original!

Congrats!.. and we are all so happy for the both of you!

Heaps of love,
AJoanne and family

 
At 12:59 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations. I am absolutely delighted. How romantic!
Love, hugs and kisses,
Rosie

 
At 1:15 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe it! Congratulations! I am so happy for the 2 of you! Enjoy this special post proposal glow as long as you can.

So happy to see this is really the trip of your dreams.

Claudine

 
At 7:34 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is GREAT news! I am really happy for you! And what a great place to have it happen. Very romantic! I'm really enjoying the desriptivness of your writing too!
congrats to both of you!
Jackie

 
At 9:13 p.m., Blogger Lindsay Margenau said...

CONGRATULATIONS YOU GUYS! I'm so excited - way to go Rich, what a cool location and experience for an engagement! Keep us posted on the wedding plans - you know we're always up for exciting destination weddings!

 
At 7:27 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your engagement. What a romantic and memorable marriage proposal. We are very proud and so very, very happy for both of you.

Jo, WELCOME into our family tree, hearts and home.

Richard, thank you for making our dreams a reality.

It's so exciting travelling with you through your blog, ENJOY the rest of your trip.

HUGGZ & KISSEZ
Mom & Dad

 
At 7:38 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congradulations you two! This is wonderful news. I am really enjoying reading about your adventures and seeing the amazing pictures. I can't wait for more.
Anne

 
At 10:52 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
We all knew it was only a matter of time!

Thank you so much for the detailed and amusing up-dates. I'm tuning in regularly to see what you've been up to and you're definitely keeping me entertained when I'm work.

Melinda :o)

 
At 11:49 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your engagement
from Grandma & Jim

 
At 12:11 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats guys! We are so happy for you!

Weclome to the club!

Your adventures are amazing! Keep the updates coming!

Dave and Thuy

 
At 1:36 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

First and foremost (since I actually appear to be FIRST for once):

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JO!

And...

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ENGAGEMENT! That's great news! Welcome to the family Rich! (Well soon anyway). I think that your itchy feet will get along fantastically with all of ours ;) I must commend you on (somehow) managing to hide a ring for SEVERAL WEEKS while TRAVELLING! (Please don't tell us where you hid it).

I would also like to comment on how sad it is that the news of your engagement (while understandably overshadowingly wonderful) has all but eliminated comments on your well thought out, eloquently written post on the tomato festival. So I would like to pay it the appropriate homage:

I LIKE TOMATOES

Congrats and happy birthday!

 
At 2:51 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK....As to the tomatoes being rightfully overshadowed by the marriage proposal and acceptnce ... perhaps we can couple the two occasions buy saying that the newly engaged couple's faces had a "Tomatina glow" as they blushed with joy. Ahhh...
Your story was better that the video of the La Tomatina site. Keep up the fascinating writing.

 
At 8:16 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Guys!!!

Engaged??? You guys are just too cool for school!!! Did I just say that?

I'm sooo happy for you guys and LOVE the blog. When I'm in Ottawa, I'll swing by to see the ring!

Keep on having fun,

Melissa

 
At 2:04 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

HIGH FIVE to getting engaged! Woooo! I am happy for you guys :-)
As tacky at is sounds, you guys make a great couple.

Sounds like your trip is going well, looks like sssoooo much fun. Nice pics, too.

We'll miss you guys this fall at ultimate, it starts this week.

Brenda xx

 
At 4:21 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooooohhhhhhhhh SNAP!!!
That rocks, congrats you two!!
That's awesome!!
Geoff

 
At 7:57 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS! You know that this means we actually have to meet Rich sometime! And I'm with Steve - how did Rich manage to hide a ring from you for so long?

Really appreciating your blog. Keep enjoying your amazing trip.

Love
Pat and Steve

 

Post a Comment

<< Home